Call for Speakers in ‘Popcorn Sessions’
Applications are now open for speakers in Popcorn Sessions at SRI2020. Present your work and share the stage with leading experts in sustainability research and innovation.
Submit an abstract by March 1, 2020 for the opportunity to deliver a short 7-minute talk during a Popcorn Session at SRI2020. These sessions are designed to feature the latest and most compelling advances in sustainability in a particular discipline, theme, and/or geography.
Criteria for selection of speaker abstracts:
- Applicability to Popcorn Session topic and description (see below).
- Intellectual merit of presentation: cutting edge, high-quality and solution oriented.
- Clear focus on any of the SRI2020 themes, or a coherent linkage among these areas.
- Novelty and creativity of the approaches and solutions proposed.
- Abstracts should be a maximum of 300 Words, submitted through the SRI2020 proposal submission portal.
- Diversity (in geography, career stage, professional background, gender, etc.)
About Popcorn Sessions
Popcorn Sessions are composed of eight short presentations by different speakers on the same topic, exposing different ways of approaching a sustainability challenge with dedicated time for audience interaction.
- Popcorn Sessions run for a total of 1.5 hours, featuring 8 speakers who each present 20 slides for 20 seconds per slide (7 minutes total per speaker).
- Sessions will be divided into 2 rounds of 4 short talks. After each round, the speakers move to the corners of the room, and the audience engages in discussion with one or more speakers of their choice for 14 minutes.
- Sessions have already selected 4 of the 8 speakers. The remaining 4 speakers will be selected through this open application process. Session organizers will review applications in conjunction with the Program Committee.
- Applicants will be notified of their abstract status in mid-March, 2020.
- 2113 – Developing an industrial ecology marketplace for plastic waste
- 1949 – Past global changes as indicators for future changes and strategies for sustainability
- 2197 – Transformations to sustainability through transformations in air travel – Perspectives from science
- 2206 – Advances in Earth observation for biodiversity and ecosystem monitoring
- 2088 – Integrativity in complexity: knowledge co-creation at the food-water-energy nexus
- 2130 – The role of biodiversity for transformative change towards sustainable development
- 1980 – Sustainability, the Asian way (or Sustainable transformations, can Asia lead the way?)
- 2201 – Critical social-science perspectives on transformations to sustainability – emerging framings and approaches
- 2027 – North-South participation through engaging communities for implantation of Sustainable Development Goals harnessing science, research and innovation
- Jan 30: Early-bird registration opens
- Mar 1: Call for speakers in ‘Popcorn Sessions’ closes
- Mar 15: Call for demonstrations closes
- Apr 1: Program published
- Apr 15: Early bird registration deadline closes, regular registration continues