Future Earth, which supports the largest global community of systems-focused sustainability researchers and innovators, and the Belmont Forum, the world’s largest consortium of transdisciplinary global change and sustainability research funders, are joining forces to establish an annual marquee congress in which the world’s foremost research and innovation communities come together to share successes, exchange views, and work across disciplines and sectors to support a global transformation to sustainability.
SRI brings together a global community of changemakers, driven by a common goal to accelerate transition to sustainability. We welcome practitioners, researchers, funders, innovators, thought leaders, policy-makers, and industry partners across the broad spectrum of communities working to solve local to global sustainability challenges.
SRI2020 is the inaugural SRI Congress, which will take place on June 14-17 2020 in Brisbane, Australia. SRI2020 is hosted by an Australian consortium led by Future Earth Australia and the Office of the Queensland Chief Scientist, comprising the CSIRO, University of Queensland, Queensland University of Technology, University of the Sunshine Coast, James Cook University and Griffith University. Enabled by the consortium’s broad and deep networks across Australia and the Oceanic region, SRI2020 will be the gateway connecting sustainability research and innovation across the Global South and Global North.
SRI aims to:
- Foster productive and solutions-oriented dialogue between disciplines and sectors
- Build transdisciplinary science and innovation community, inclusive of all sectors and knowledge streams
- Share the latest research and knowledge and provide a dynamic venue for training, mentoring, valorization, and synthesis
- Foster green entrepreneurship and sustainable innovation
- Develop evidence-based plans and strategies together to advance sustainability pathways
- Provide an interactive space for sustainability funders to explore new partnership models
- Increase use of sustainability research through effective public communication, including youth messaging
- Legitimize sustainability as a career through the formation of a professional society
For additional information, listen the webinar recordings from September 18, 2019 16:00 GMT and 00:00 GMT, where Erica Key, the Executive Director of Belmont Forum, and Josh Tewksbury, the Director of Future Earth USA, discuss SRI2020: